LAKE MAHOPAC United Methodist Church
We are currently not holding services at Lake Mahopac United Methodist Church but please read on for a brief history of this historical building.
85 Mount Hope Road and Route 6, Mahopac, NY 10541
A Brief History.
The Lake Mahopac Methodist Church was first organized as a society on July 14th, 1822 at the home of Benjamin Townherd. It is the oldest Methodist church in Putnam County. The church was originally called the Chapel at Carmel Big Pond, this being the former name of Lake Mahopac. The first church building was erected in 1826 and stood on a tract of land that had been donated by Nathaniel Crane. This land now includes the site of the Catholic Church of St John the Evangelist.
The original Methodist church was a stately New England-style white frame building with a balcony overlooking the beautiful lake.
As the decades went by, the building must have declined to a point that prompted the Rev. Hart Fuller, pastor from 1911-1914, to write in the church historical journal that “what this place needs is a new church and a prayer meeting”.
Some nine years later, that came to pass. Hilary Chambers donated the land for the new church. The building still standing today was finished during the ministry of the Rev. Henry Lincoln and was formally dedicated on July 30th, 1922.
The beautiful Gothic-style sanctuary boasts stained-glass windows that are dedicated to former church members and trustees. A pipe organ was installed to “secure good music” for the church. The building cost $25,000 to complete and was paid for in large part by “generous giving on the part of summer visitors” who used the area and lake as their summer retreat.
The Parish Hall with its meeting rooms and kitchen was erected in 1957. That same year, in celebration of the church’s 135th Anniversary, Pastor Lester McGonagle wrote, “Where would the church be without the dedicated men and women who loved the Lord and His Son? Lake Mahopac Methodist Church will continue to grow in winning new people to Christ and spreading the Gospel of love unto all. May God continue to bless and nurture His good people in Mahopac”.
Recent renovations with money raised by church members and the local community have restored the church to its original beauty.
With thanks to the Town of Carmel Historical Society.
PO Box 602
Mahopac, NY 10541-0602